Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Remixes

I showed my cartoon character pieces a few times and never got much of a reaction for them. Part of the problem is that subject matter is way in currently with the lowbrow crowd and part is probably because my paintings were devoid of color. So instead of throwing the paintings away I've decided to remix them. Redoing old canvasses has become by far my favorite way to paint. I hunt for old canvasses, my favorite are the kind one sees in hotel rooms. I have even gone as far as painting over paintings at my house, my own and ones my friends gave me, not at all out of disrespect, but more out of my twisted version of Buddhist teachings of impermanence.
This is (a bit) different however, for my cartoon characters canvasses I originally wanted to keep the image but mix it with another in a way that made sense to me.
My first attempt was this:


I call it the Downtownian. It is my comment on the folks I see around town, riding their fixed gears to their hipster bars, getting that adventuresome street life out of the way before they return to the suburbs they hail from and begin their wine collections.

The following three canvasses took a bit of an alteration. Instead of mixing images I wanted to portray in canvass electronic music. More specifically the mixing of old music with new blurps or beats, or the addition of  samples or mixing of songs or melodies. I like the results, I hope others will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment